Thursday 13 November 2008

Drenched Again!

This morning having looked at the weather forecast I decided to take Rex for his walk on Beer Head and go down into Under Hooken, rain not having been forecast until after lunchtime, light rain at that! I arrived there just after nine and the second I stepped from the car it started 'spitting'. I wasn't too deterred and carried on cheerfully, thinking of all those lovely warblers I'd soon be ticking. The rain just got worse and I eventually found myself down in the undercliff sheltering under a small tree.I stayed put for about forty minutes, because at least I could use my (non-waterproof) bins there. This was my view:

There were plenty of birds in the area despite the weather but nothing even remotely scarce. I didn't see a single warbler of any description and only heard a Chiffchaff. I only stayed put for so long because I was hoping for a break in the rain. It just got worse though. I moved on eventually when Rex's pitiful 'whinging an doin' started gettin on me wick ! Not that long ago he'd have been off exploring on his own but recently, since he's begun loosing his senses (in more ways than one!), he's more reluctant to leave my sight. He still thinks sheltering under trees is for wimps though!!

"Oh come on mum, you wimp!!"

On my way back just at the foot of the steps I heard the distinctive call of a Firecrest in the brambles. I stood there in the rain like a fool for about ten minutes waiting for it to show (which it didn't) , why I did this is anyone's guess! I'd only seen one yesterday! I hadn't had the foresight to wear my beautiful binbag suit either so needless to say I arrived home drenched.

I think I should take less heed of the forecast and look to the wisdom of our forebears and the weather lore passed down through generations. Such gems as:

'Sky red in the morning is a sailor's sure warning; Sky red at night is the sailor's delight.'

Bacause on getting out of bed this morning I saw this:

Very Red Indeed.

I should have listened to what Shakespeare said about it in 'Venus and Adonis' “Like a red morn that ever yet betokened, wreck to the seaman, tempest to the field, sorrow to the shepherds, woe unto the birds, gusts and foul flaws to herdmen and to herds.” Then I wouldn't have thought it would just be a little bit of drizzle, would I? I had been warned!!!


Truly Stunning

No comments: