Monday 9 November 2009

Ringing at Colyford Common and Twitching at Lyme Regis

I spent a very enjoyable day ringing today with the AERG at Colyford Common, first time I've been able to attend for a while, glad I could make it today though as we caught some smashing birds, including 18 Long-tailed Tits, 18 Reed Buntings (with no retraps even after ringing 22 Reed Buntings ten days previously) a couple of Chiffchaffs, a Cetti's Warbler and plenty of the usuals too. Here's a few photos:

Very popular with the AERG paparazzi...


A lovely Cetti's Warbler


Very popular with Steve - Reed Buntings, guess what? He LOVES 'em!!


I can see why!


Apparently this Goldfinch was a 'bit scabby' - Nobody's perfect!




A gorgeous (for a Chiffchaff) Chiffchaff


One of the eightteen Long-tailed Tits caught today.
We let them go in small groups so the flocks wouldn't be separated too much. I tried to get a photo or two of the birds flying out of bag to freedom with somewhat limited success, it has to be said, camera's way too slow. Here they are anyway:


Two out...

Now five...

...Last one leaving the bag.


Just as the ringing was drawing to a close for the day I got a text from Bun, which had me pootling over the border to Lyme Regis to twitch this...


What??!! No not really... Actually it was this..



A gorgeous little Grey Phalarope, whirring about right underneath The Cob wall.


I love 'em

Awful low sun  by 3 o' clock when I arrived and I'd forgotten my digiscoping camera, the S3 did it's best though. I tried a spot of video but a bit shaky I'm afraid. Great bird though, glad Bun's got a pager. :-)

No comments: