Wednesday 15 April 2015

Sand Crocus and Salcombe Hill Update

One morning last week I popped down to Dawlish Warren to see the Sand Crocus. There were plenty on show in the morning sunshine. Whist there I fortuitously met a fellow wildflower enthusiast who showed me some of his recent photos amongst which were some lovely shots of Toothwort, a strange woodland plant I've always wanted to see. He kindly gave me directions to the site where he had photographed it over in Dorset and I went there on Sunday. I'll post my photos from that visit in a post to follow this short one.




Sand Crocus - Romulea columnae

It's been pretty quiet on Salcombe Hill. I've seen quite a few Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs, and a few days ago a small fall of Blackcaps, also a single Wheatear a few Swallows and a flyover Peregrine.



There a several pairs of breeding Linnets


Small Tortoiseshell



Green Alkanet - Pentaglottis sempervirens
Considered a troublesome weed by many but I really like it!
 

No comments: