Thursday 18 September 2008

Axe Cliff Today.....Again!!!

I couldn’t get out until late morning today and didn’t have long, so a quick walk with the dog on Axe Cliff it was. Even though it was late in the morning there were more birds around than yesterday, nothing particularly special but nice enough. Including 7 Wheatears, 30 Meadow Pipits, 2 Whinchats and several hundred Swallows and House Martins passing overhead. There were at least 4 Migrant Hawkers on the wing too.

Rex with one of the Whinchats in the background.


A closer view of Whinchat


A Wheatear just about to pounce on a creepy- crawly of some kind.This is a pretty poor Wheatear photo but it’s the first I’ve put on my blog, I should improve on it shortly. I predict it will be one of at least 100 in due course!

A trip to Axe Cliff wouldn’t be complete without a gripping golf ball tick, here’s today’s little gem, a bit elusive this one, not showing it’s clinching ID features too well. I can tell you that it’s the Wilson – Ultra Competition, no less (I do realise there’s probably only one reader even remotely interested in this!!)



It says in the Wilson advertising blurb –

The Wilson Ultra Competition golf ball is for the savvy player. Completely redesigned Ultra Competition offers a unique blend of distance and performance, as well as cut-proof durability.

"a unique blend of distance and performance" That could mean anything! All I know is it's another tick for me-e-e!!

I popped to Bruckland Ponds later in the day; Groups of hirundines were passing through, stopping to drink, at least a hundred in the short time I was there. There were also lots of Migrant Hawkers here too.


Migrant Hawker



Hirundines at Bruckland Ponds

Back at home I took a few snaps of some of my resident horde of House Sparrows, and I also spotted a surprise addition to my garden list, a Chiffchaff in an Indian Bean Tree.



A cheeky chappie......

....Or two

More interesting are the birds I haven’t managed to see today, there are still two Ospreys in the valley and very grippingly at Colyford Common this evening two Little Stints!! Our first this year, Patch year-list tick material!! I was stuck at work this evening and this is the first occasion where I’ve missed a good bird while at work. I’m sure there’ll be a few more as the autumn proceeds. I shouldn’t whinge though I’m sure all the other patchers have missed plenty this way! Hope they're still there in the morning… I know I will be!

No comments: